Career Goals

I'm writing this to myself so I can look back in a few years and see if my goals are still the same, or if I've made it to where I want to be.

When I got pregnant in high school, a lot of people assumed I would drop out. Statistics were out there and they were saying I would most likely not achieve an education.

"Nearly 1 million teens have babies every year, and of these almost 7 out of 10 will drop out of school before completing high school. Less than 2 percent of teen moms go on to get a college degree. 80% of women who have babies when they are teens spend at least part of their life dependent on welfare, and they have serious disadvantages in achieving financial success and independence in life, largely due to their lack of education. Their children are also less likely to succeed in school and financially. "http://www.teenpregnancystatistics.org/content/finishing-school-as-a-mom.html

I was not going to let a statistic tell me who I was or what I was going to do. I  had to prove the statistics wrong. I just had to. It was my goal. I had to prove for myself, everyone that knew me, and all the teenage mothers that teenage pregnancy is not a death sentence for education, financial success, and a happy life. I was lucky enough to have a sister who volunteered to watch my son while I finished high school. I was also lucky to have a supportive family. I might not have gotten far without them.When I finished high school I was proud of myself. But my family was even more happy. They congratulated me like I had done something incredibly hard and yet I felt as if they thought that was all I would achieve.

I started college just days after finshing high school. It took me 2 years to get my associates degree and 2 more years to get my bachelors. During that time I had another child and my goal was still clear, but my heart was changing. The older I became, the more I realized all I wanted was my family. I wanted to spend my time with them, but I just had to finish school.

Me and my husband made a deal that if I went to school and got a degree while he worked, I would work while he got his degree. I couldn't quit. My family depended on me. If I quit, my husband would never get to go to school, and we would live pay-check to pay-check for the rest of our lives. That's the life we grew up in and we knew we didn't want that for our children. Without the proper finances, life is stressful, and when people are stressful all the time, they are usually unhappy.

When I got my bachelors, I kind of went into a panic. I was proud of myself, but I knew I wasn't ready to go to work and leave my children. I had broad and vague ideas on what I wanted to do and I had just found out I was pregnant. My plan seemed so skewed from what I first foresaw. I decided to enroll in the advanced social work program and spend another year in school just so I could stay home with my children. I justified it by telling myself and my husband that it would be more earning potential. My plan backfired a little as it was a lot of hard work. It was stressful and I spent a lot of time stressed and doing homework.

Throughout college I had a goal in mind to help other teenage mothers obtain housing, an education, and eventually an independent life. As my heart changed, I also discovered where my passion and interests lie. I knew that I wanted to to be around pregnancy. I became fascinated with pregnancy, birth, infancy, and breastfeeding. I still have other interests, such as school counseling and hospital social work and I have not completely put those options behind me.

As of right now, my career goal is to become a neonatal social worker and a lactation consultant. It takes experience to get to these positions so I will have to start out in a entry level position. (I'm praying I get the position I've applied for.) Hopefully after years of experience I can then open my own agency or program for teenage mothers.

I plan to work full-time just long enough to let Logan finish school, to pay off my loans, and get our house half-way paid for. Then I would like to work part-time until my children are out of school. This is what I would like, not necessarily what I will get. It's my goal and so far I have been successful in meeting my goals. I think I would love a job in a NICU and helping women discover the beauty and benefits in breastfeeding. If I got this job, I doubt I would ever quit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pinkie Pie Party

Passing the LGSW Exam

Nikolai Blaine & Victoria Ashlynn in 2013!